With Thanksgiving behind us and our bellies full of turkey and pumpkin pie, the holiday season has officially commenced. This is the time when many Americans flood the malls and the Internet to scoop up the best bargains and pick out the perfect gifts for friends and family – and if we are being honest, maaaybe a few things for ourselves as well!
More importantly, this is a time for us to reflect and give thanks for all of our blessings and, if we have the means, it’s a time for us to help others in need. It’s the start of giving season, which offers an abundance of opportunities to give and celebrate. The season kicks off with #Thanksgiving followed by Black Friday and Cyber Monday and then today #GivingTuesday, a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration.
So why has #GivingTuesday been so successful? Well, for starters, people genuinely like to give and help others (yes, we can still have faith in humanity!). In fact, many studies have shown that giving – whether it’s monetary donations or volunteering time – is proven to result in improved mood, better physical health, decreased symptoms of depression and increased longevity.
According to Dr. Stephen Post, professor of preventative medicine and bioethics at Stony Brook University School of Medicine, when we help others by volunteering our time or making a donation, our brain releases a feel-good neurotransmitter, dopamine. It also causes what’s known as “the giver’s glow and helper’s high.”
So there you have it, giving is truly a win-win – we can help others while also reaping some major health benefits. If you’re still not convinced that today is a great day to give, consider that in honor of #GivingTuesday, Facebook and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation are contributing up to $2 million in matching donations through Facebook, which makes today the best day of the year to donate since your contribution will be doubled.
Deserving Decor, like many other not-for-profits, relies on the generosity and support of people like you to help accomplish our mission of providing new twin beds, gently used furniture and household goods to women and children transitioning from domestic violence, homelessness, and teens aging out of foster care, in Bucks County.
Thanks to the power of giving, in 2016 alone, Deserving Decor was able to help 41 families – including 52 adults and 74 children – with deliveries to create a place for them to call home. If you are planning on donating this holiday season, we hope you will join us in our pursuit of furnishing futures for women and children in Bucks County, PA.
If you would like to support Deserving Decor, check out the 3 ways you can help below.
- Donate – either online or mail a check to: Deserving Decor, PO Box 1055, Doylestown, PA 18901
- Shop on AmazonSmile. Go to smile.amazon.com/ch/26-2923381 and Amazon donates to Deserving Decor.
- Create a Fundraiser on Facebook today and double the donation! Creating a fundraiser is easy and we welcome fundraisers with any goal amount! Here’s how to create a fundraiser:
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/fundraisers/deservingdecor
- Click “Create Fundraiser”
- Select from one of three cover photos (or create your own)
- Add a title, tell your story, add an end date and a goal amount
- Be sure to include #GivingTuesday in your description, then click “Create”
- Then share and invite friends to give to your fundraiser